Awards received in the following areas - Information Technology, Literacy, Choir, Media Studies, Environmental Awareness, Art, Drama, Science and Sport.
ACTIVITIES FOR MORE ABLE CHILDREN INCLUDE -
- Published Poetry Book.
- Published Local History Book.
- Celebrity visits e.g. author, Tom Mc Caughren & storyteller, Niall De Burca.
- Paired Reading with De La Salle Secondary School.
- General Knowledge Intra-school Quizzes.
- Annual Book Fair.
- Power Hour- a literarcy initiative for younger classes.
- Special computer based project work.
- Advanced Maths classes.
- Wide & varied IT curriculum.
- Broadband Network throughout the school.
- Video Conferencing - involvement in Schools Integration Computer Project.
- Discover Primary Science Award Winners.
- K'NEX Engineering Challenge participants.
- Visits to UCD Science Day.
- Excursions to BT Young Scientists' Competition.
CREATIVE & PERFORMING ARTS
- Four Green Flags awarded to Good Shepherd N.S. by An Taisce.
- Prize winning Millennium Garden.
- Involved in recycling Batteries, old Mobile Phones and used Stamps.
- Nature Study/Observation in the extensive school grounds & patio.
- Visits to St. Enda’s Park, Airfield Trust and Rathfarnham Castle grounds
- Permanent Outdoor Classroom.
- Nesting Box in the patio with camera attached.
- CHOIR - multiple award winners at Feis Ceol.
- Choral performances in the Point & Civic Theatres.
- RTÉ appearances - Open House & New Year’s Eve Concert.
- Children’s opera with the National Chamber Choir.
- Liturgical services participation.
MUSIC & DRAMA
- Participation in a Fís Film Making Project, screened in the IMC.
- School plays and concerts.
- Annual Talent Show.
- Local and international groups perform for the children to broaden their perspective of the Arts.
- Weekly classes given by a professional drama teacher.
- Special Good Shepherd Music Project - begins September 2013
- Artist In Residence Schemes with Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council
➤Clay work project shown on RTÉ Den TV and exhibited in the DLR Co. Co. offices
➤Pilot Artist In Residence Project - 'Identity & Place' , 3D clay works, exhibited in DLR Co. Co. offices and in Collins Barracks Museum for nine months
- Drawing with various mediums, portraits displayed on corridors
- Foyer mural painted by pupils
- Regular prize winners in the Nutgrove Shopping Centrex Art Competitions.
- Religious Art displays in Good Shepherd Church
- Texaco art competition winners.
- Mural on Junior Yard shelter repainted June 2013.
- In–house Uni-hoc, Soccer, Gaelic, Olympic handball and Basketball leagues.
- Senior Gaelic and Soccer teams involved in Dublin leagues.
- GAA, Soccer and Tag Rugby coaching given by qualified coaches.
- Quick Cricket.
- Table Tennis.
- Short Tennis.
- Cross Country Running.
- Golf Classics and Mini Golf.
- Sailing in Dun Laoghaire.
- Swimming in Templeogue College Pool.
- Co-Operative Sports Day.
- The Good Shepherd is recognised as being a European model of Inclusive Education. Since the school was established, we have taken part in Helios, Comenius and Léargas School Link projects. Reciprocal visits to other schools have included trips to Belgium, England, Germany, Greece, Italy, Latvia, Luxembourg, Poland, Portugal, Spain and Sweden. The exchange of best educational practice has enhanced the children’s learning in all participating schools.
SOME USEFUL WEBSITES FOR PARENTS & CHILDREN